- Establishes, maintains, and examines administrative systems so that workflows are clear and information is easy to find and understand
- Manage communication to the office, including emails and phone calls
- Providing administrative assistance, such as writing and editing emails, drafting memos and preparing communications on the assembly member’s or chief of staff’s behalf
- Maintaining comprehensive and accurate records, documents and reports for the office
- Organizing meetings, including scheduling, sending reminders and organizing catering when necessary
- Welcomes visitors in the office, identifies their needs, and directs them to the appropriate person
- Managing the assembly member’s day-to-day calendar, including making appointments and prioritizing the most important matters and relationships
- Coordinating travel arrangements and create trip itineraries
Key Abilities and Experience
- Speaking and/or writing knowledge of Spanish, Arabic, Bangla, Greek or Urdu strongly preferred
- Familiarity with the diverse, multicultural, and immigrant communities of the district
- Professional administrative experience; strong organizational skills and ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks; ability to treat confidential information with appropriate discretion
- Problem-solving and decision making skills; exceptional attention to detail; excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to act as gatekeeper and escalate relevant information to other team members as needed
- Skilled in the use of standard office equipment (e.g., copiers, business telephone systems, projectors, fax machines) and programs (Microsoft Office Suite, GoogleDrive, etc)
- Required to live in New York State upon beginning of employment
Salary and Benefits:
$21,500 per year for 20/hrs a week, part time position. This position offers health, vision + dental insurance as well as a retirement plan. When travel to Albany is necessary, lodging and travel expenses will be paid for. The position also comes with sick days, vacation days, and personal time, as well as state holidays.
Start Date: January 2021
Submit a 1-page resume, a 1-page cover letter, and names and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com by December 18 at 9am with the subject line “Administrative Assistant.” Please keep in mind that we are looking for cover letters that tell us in your own words why you are a great candidate for the job and do not simply repeat the information in your resume.
Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to respond to each applicant. Applicants who advance to the interview stage will be notified by December 21.
The Assembly is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in accordance with its policy of non discrimination on the basis of disability - as well as the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), does not discriminate on the basis of disability with regard to employment.