- Manages office staff, including tasks and projects, setting direction for staff, creating an environment that centers care and growth, ensuring that staff members are an active part of conversations and decision making when appropriate; transparent communication with staff around decisions and decision making roles
- Manages relationships with stakeholders, staffers, volunteers, constituents and other elected officials’ offices; prioritizes issues and conversations for the Assemblymember
- Creates an office culture of respect and open communication; mediates and resolves conflict within the staff
- Sets agendas, researches for, and facilitates meetings for staff, constituents, and stakeholders
- Establishes, maintains, and examines systems so that workflows are clear and information is easy to find and understand
- Proposes the policy agenda for the Assemblymember, analyzes legislation, provides policy consultation in key areas of interest for the Assemblymember and prepares briefings for the Assemblymember on key legislative and district issues
- Manages the time of the Assemblymember at a high level
- Pitches in at all levels of work when necessary; works flexible hours including evenings and weekends
Key Abilities and Experience
- Excellent time management skills with an eye towards efficiency and efficacy; works under tight deadlines and able to prioritize multiple tasks and issues
- Understanding of the legislative process, as well as the structure and policies of New York State government and effective at coalition building in a legislative context
- Demonstrated experience in bettering the material conditions of working class people
- Experience managing people and projects
- Ability to work with basic office computer applications and social media platforms
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the diverse, multicultural, and immigrant communities of the district
- Speaking and/or writing knowledge of Spanish, Arabic, Bangla, Greek or Urdu preferred
- Required to live in New York State upon beginning of employment
Salary and Benefits
$70,000 per year for full time overtime exempt position. This position offers health, vision + dental insurance as well as a retirement plan. Lodging and travel expenses for trips to Albany will be paid for. The position also comes with sick days, vacation days, and personal time, as well as state holidays.
Start Date: January 2021
Submit a 1-page resume, a 1-page cover letter, and names and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 21 at 9am with the subject line “Chief of Staff.” Please keep in mind that we are looking for cover letters that tell us in your own words why you are a great candidate for the job and do not simply repeat the information in your resume.
Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to respond to each applicant. Applicants who advance to the first round of interviews will be notified by October 2 and will be asked to submit a writing sample.
The Assembly is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in accordance with its policy of non discrimination on the basis of disability - as well as the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), does not discriminate on the basis of disability with regard to employment.